Thursday, March 19, 2009

1 Timothy 1

Ponderings from 1 Timothy 1 by Doug Mingus

v 3 'remain in Ephesus' – despite false teachers and teaching – apparently Timothy wanted to leave or quit? -- Paul told him he could do it through the teachings he had already heard (v18) and the ones Paul was giving him in this epistle – for us: use what we've learned and what the Lord will teach us in His Letter (Word)

v 4 always a good reminder to not waste time on unimportant things/arguments – you know I really think this is one of the places that the evil one has really distracted and harmed our efforts as THE CHURCH – so many believers (claimed anyway) love to argue more than reach out to the world or be an example – its so easy to do this as well – CAUTION for all I think

v 5 the purpose of instruction (in particular pastoral instruction/preaching?)(NKJV says commandment but others say instruction – NASB, HCSB, NIV) is love (Eph 4:15), purity and sincerity in faith – some have tripped up on this and become worthless in their teaching/learning efforts (v 6-7)

v12 'enabled me... putting me in the ministry' – reminder that it is God alone who can truly put into the ministry – and it is through Him alone that we have the possibility of accomplishing it. -- Personal note: Even with all the challenges that I have had... I am thankful to the Lord that He has put me in the ministry as well.

v14 “grace of our Lord was exceedingly abundant” - this phrase brings to mind that the grace of the Lord is more than more than enough – theres already an abundant amount, or more than enough – but it exceeds that – more than more than enough!

v15 Thank the Lord that Jesus came into the world to save!!

v15b I still have a hard time with this part of the verse though... its hard to imagine Paul being the worst of sinners... sometimes I feel like I take that crown... but I also know that he is speaking mostly of his past persecuting the church and such... still a hard verse to comprehend. If Paul/Saul was the worst... what about the rest of us... But this doesn't take away from the dramatic power of restoration and transformation in Christ that occurs through faith in the Lord. He can change the worst of all into possibly the best of all humans (save Christ of course).

v16 I'm glad the Lord is longsuffering... because I have probably caused Him way too much suffering with my sins and faults... I'm not trying to be spiritual here... but just honest. Lord forgive me and forgive us all.

v17 another verse that proves He is KING now ... I get tired of people saying that He is going to reign in the millenium... He reigns NOW. And He always will. He is the eternal King... He reigns now, in the future and has since before the beginning of time! He is eternal and His Kingship is eternal!

And may the Lord get all the glory and honor He deserves... from me... from His people... from the world. Lord do whatever it takes to get glory and honor from my life.

v18 Keep Fighting! And Fight well! Use all the tools, talents and teachings at our disposal!

No comments:

Post a Comment